Published in The Boston Globe Feb. 1 print
Several schools across the state were evacuated Monday morning after receiving bomb threats — some for the second time in the past month.
High schools in Billerica, Lexington, and Mashpee took precautions.
Lexington High School received a “robocall” threat and evacuated buildings, according to an e-mail from officials to the school community. A thorough sweep was undertaken.
In Billerica, the high school also received a threat, and the school was searched, Superintendent Timothy G. Piwowar said in a statement. The threat was considered “low-level,” he said, and there was no evidence it was credible.
Students at Mashpee Middle-High School were dismissed about 9:40 a.m. after a threat was received, said Acting Superintendent Patricia DeBoer in an e-mail to parents. All afternoon and evening events at the school were canceled, she said.
It wasn’t clear if Billerica and Mashpee had received their threats through robocalls.
Billerica and Mashpee also received threats last month, along with other schools.
Two weeks ago, a string of threats — including a number of robocalls — came into nine schools across the state, prompting an investigation by the FBI, State Police, and several local police departments. Days later, another 11 received threats, also including some robocalls.
The FBI will include Monday’s incidents as part of its investigation, said Kristen Setera, a spokeswoman for the Boston division of the FBI.